Here's a simple way to encourage children to pray which has been around for some years but it's easy for a child to learn. It's called the five-finger prayer pattern.
Have your child place his hand on the table or bed, and illustrate the following to him or her.
1. Your thumb is close to you so it will represent (remind us of) those who are close to you. It reminds you to pray fro your family members, relatives, and friends. Let's think of some now...
2. Next comes your pointer finger. This finger reminds you to pray for people you want to follow Jesus (become a friend of Jesus). Hold up your pointer finger. Let's think of some of these people now.
3. Your third finger ("tall man") represents those who are in authority. It is the biggest finger and the strongest one.It stands for leaders, pastors, missionaries, teachers, and "big" people who you want to pray for.
4. The fourth finger (ring finger) is your weakest finger. It reminds you of people who are weak, sick, or going through a hard time. Can you think of any people like this that you'd like to pray for?
5. The smallest finger reminds you to pray for yourself. What would you like to tell God about how your feeling or what's been happening at school, with friends, or with family?
"Pray continually;give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:17-18